Wednesday, July 21

calibration

Nikki



Whew, this past week has been chalked full of periods of procrastinating and periods of intense work. I keep plugging along, with most of the images edited and formatted now. It has been a huge learning process, and I have to thank my lucky stars that Anna, suggested that I go to dStudio-digital printing and for giving me Charlie as a contact. I haven’t had a lot of experience with commercial printerswho handle calibrating images for print. As much as I loved JT for opening my eyes to the world of contemporary photography, and for the wealth of knowledge that he provided working with both Lightroom and Photoshop, I feel that my education never really got into the practical applications, i.e. working with commercial printers and getting images ready for print, when you don’t have complete control over the entire process. In that regard, Charlie has been INCREDIBLE, helping me better understand how to get my images ready for a variety of mediums and for teaching me what commercial printers can and cannot do, and what I, as a photographer, need to do to ensure high quality and caliber of my art.

Calibration has been a huge issue. Working with the current series I need to have exact color calibration. When you are using different printers, and changing mediums from paper, to archival paper, to canvas, it can be a lot to keep track of. Each image needs to be calibrated for a particular printer and for a particular medium. Since this is my first foray into this world without the protection of academia, it can be a little overwhelming. I’ve been working with several printers in the area, giving them a trial run, and I have to say that none of them can hold a candle to dStudio. Images that I got back from another graphic lab the other day were completely out of whack, and the printer told me he had “taken the liberty” to bring out the faces of some of the models. I was livid, would you take the liberty to smooth out a sculpture, or add color to a painting. Its so hard to communicate a vision when the people you are working with are not used to the world of fine art. That is why Charlie, with all his experience, has been a godsend.

Additionally, my computer is not calibrated. I need to buy a monitor calibrator, but since I am an unemployed artist, I don’t have the money. For those of you who are not familiar with calibration, let me give you a little rundown. Images on your computer (or your tv) are created using light, specifically Red, Green, Blue (RGB). This is a color additive model, meaning the color is created by adding colors together to get a specific hue. When you print an image the color is created using ink, specifically Cyan Magenta Yellow blacK (CMYK), this is a color subtractive model, meaning the color is created by subtracting (that is, absorbing) some wavelengths of light and reflecting the others. Oh look, an example!

Normal

RGBCMYK

You might be saying duh, but in order to match your computer color to the color of a fine art print can be extremely difficult because there is no one conversion process. For me, getting the right shade of red or green is particularly important with this series, so I have to pay extra close attention. Needless to say, ugh.

But, at the end of the day this is a learning process for me. It is important for me to learn this stuff, and it will only help me be better at my craft, though spending 8 hours converting to profiles, is not really my idea of a good time, but hey, it needs to be done.

Other than all the crazy art talk, things are beginning to settle here in Chico. I am looking at some cool apartments downtown, hopefully to move in by mid-August. I am in the market for a car as well. Additionally, Lifetouch begins on Monday, and I am excited, if nothing else for the chance to actually do something with my days rather than wasting away in the summer sun. Its been hot here, though not as hot as the East I am told by my VT friends. This weekend is the Wildwood Ultimate Frisbee beach tournament on the Jersey Shore. I wish my squirrels the best of luck, and if you are near Wildwood NJ, I suggest you check out the awesome action, and remember to WATCH THE TRAM CAR PLEASE!

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts you got there, believe I may possibly try just some of it throughout my daily life.

    ReplyDelete