Sunday, September 19

road

Up


This image is from my recent trip to Reno. The photos ive started taking of poles and roads are somehow also related to this stuff. I am really enjoying playing with the constructed human landscape and how it contrasts and is mimicked natural forms. It was only after I worked on the photo sometime later that I realized the weeds were repeating the forms of the streetlights, and in the background hides a telltale electric pole. the plot thickens...

I am hitting the road this week and heading to the boarder of Oregon for shooting. The last time I went out of town there was no internet in the mountains, hopefully this will not be the case. In any event, I am bringing my whole kit, in the chance that I will get to do some good landscapes, I am also busting out the holga after its triumphant return from the deserts of burning man. I got to take some great shots off hours last trip, this time, I expect, will not be an exception.

needle-in-the-hay


Ive been taking a lot of self portraits lately, mostly because I feel that is what young photographers are supposed to do. I suppose at some point I will collect them up and see if there are any patterns, but for now, I am just having fun. This photo was taken in a hay bale (duh). I've noticed the color yellow showing up a lot in some of my recent work. When discussing this with Leanne, she pointed out how green vermont was, by contrast california is so yellow. everything is all dry and dusty, yellow fields spreading to infinity. Its a completely different pallet that what I am used to, it makes me both miss the east, and be happy for a shake up.

Its been great that I have still recived so much support from my east coast crew during my stint in Cali. Raffi sent me this link the other day to Julie Blackmon's photography.



I am not so much interested in her new color work as I am in her black and white serious called "mind games" you can check it out here
the forms and framing in these shots are spectacular, my personal favorite "trampline" a dark figure flys through the trees in a very sureal dreamlike way. To me this struck me with a real sense of summer ending and the fall, harvest and the family life. All things I can relate to in my current position. Def worth a peek.

Finalized some stuff with the naked lounge, show will commence on the 2nd, I hope you can make it:

DarkPostcardDemoFront

teaser flyer


til next time

for the wild...

No comments:

Post a Comment